- August 9, 2017
- Posted by developer
In 1958, one year before Hawaii became the 50th state in the Union, a husband and wife team of Raymond and Carol Mori launched a new flooring business designed to capture a share of the burgeoning multi-family housing market in this territory on the verge of statehood
Looking back on the history of Island Flooring, our growth has mirrored the development of Hawaii, and our successes have paralleled the many accomplishments of our magical state. In the 1950s, Raymond Mori had already been serving as a painting contractor in the islands for several years, and he was very aware of the expansion opportunities ahead for Hawaii. He decided to focus his business exclusively on flooring, concentrating on the residential housing market.
- 01 Blending Tile Floors With Other Tile Features
- 02 Contractor Roundtable: Subfloor Prep
- 03 The Amazing Story of Fiber in the Carpet Industry
- The Style Board by Shaw Floors Kickoff Home Renovations
- Showcasing New and Notable Products at NeoCon 2017
- Engineered Floors recently broke ground on a new carpet tile manufacturing facility in Dalton, Ga.
- Energyst Solutions will distribute Pallmann’s complete range of wood flooring products throughout
A Leadership Position
Over the next 56 years, the Mori family successfully built Island Flooring into the largest union flooring contractor in the state of Hawaii. From small independent hotels, the company expanded its scope to include a wide range of major hospitality chains including the Four Seasons, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott and Outrigger. Island Flooring also entered the healthcare market, which required developing highly technical expertise in products such as commercial sheet vinyl and rubber flooring. The company performed work on several high-profile projects such as the Hawaii Convention Center and the new main branch of the state’s largest bank, First Hawaiian Bank.
By 2014, Island Flooring had more than 60 employees, including 45 installers. After more than five decades in the business, Raymond and Carol decided it was time to retire